Clayton recently took a 4th grade standardized writing benchmark exam at school. "Tell About a Special Place" was the writing prompt for the expository portion. Clayton wrote about the Salt Lake Temple. The state of Texas gave him a failing score. But I was proud. I loved what he wrote:
"The Mormon Salt Lake Temple grounds (Temple Square) is a wonderful place full of beautiful fountains, buildings, and the feeling of joy and happiness.
The huge, proud temple stands right in the middle of all these surroundings. It is hard to believe that this wonderful building was built around the time of the Civil War by poor Mormon pioneers. It's amazing!
The Salt Lake Temple is more than five stories high of pure white granite all the way to the top. At the top there are six peaks and placed on the highest peak is a 20 foot tall gold statue of an angel blowing a trumpet.
On it's grounds are other buildings such as the visitor's center, the Tabernacle, the Joseph Smith Building, and the General Conference Center. In the visitor's center there is a model of the inside of the Salt Lake Temple.
But my favorite thing about Temple Square is the feeling I have when I'm there. The feeling seeps into my heart and warms my soul. It bends my mouth into a smile as I wonder at the beauty of what was once a desert valley. I look upon the miracle of this tall, granite building and I know that it truly is the house of God."
I too am amazed by the miracle of temples. I love the beauty - the majesty of temples. I cherish the blessings and instruction that are found there. I yearn for the feelings of quiet and peace that reside in them. And my mouth also bends into a smile when I think about Heavenly Father's love, and contemplate eternity, and marvel at the grandeur of temples. Yes, Clayton, I also know that the temple is truly the house of God. And because we are His children. The temple is, in a very real sense, our home too.


No comments:
Post a Comment