Clayton gave a talk in primary about missionary work. He told a story published in the Friend Magazine about Pop and Mommy Cannon in Nigeria. I love the pictures from the magazine. What a great story. I'm glad my children have such amazing grandparents and great-grandparents as role models. I'll be forever grateful for their legacy of faith and service.
I Can Choose To Be a Missionary
By Clayton Smith
I have a
brother named Isaac who is 8 years old.
Today I’m going to tell you about another boy named Isaac who was also 8
years old. This is a true story about my
Great-Grandfather that was published in the Friend Magazine.
In 1978,
Isaac lived in a small village Nigeria, Africa with his family. He lived in a house made of mud with bamboo
poles.
On Sundays he went to church with
is family and several other people from his village. Their meetinghouse was also made of bamboo
and mud. It had a white sign that said,
The “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints”. Isaac’s favorite song to sing
at church was “Come Come Ye Saints.”
Even though everyone at church had read the Book of Mormon and had
testimonies of the gospel, no one had been baptized yet. No one had the
priesthood. They were still waiting for the missionaries to come to Africa.
More than
anything, Isaac wanted to be baptized and become a member of the Church. When Isaac went into the forest to cut sticks
for firewood, he prayed for the missionaries to come. One day his father told the family that they
were going to have a special meeting on Saturday. Before the meeting they would fast for 24
hours. The meeting was to pray for
missionaries to come.
On Saturday, Isaac and his family put on
their best clothes. Isaac’s stomach
growled with hunger, but he didn’t notice because he was so excited. It was very crowded at the meeting. They sang hymns and took turns praying. Isaac’s mother had tears on her cheeks.
Just as they
were getting ready to leave, they heard a motor. A car pulled up in front of the building and
stopped. My Great-Grandfather and his
wife got out. He told them his name was
Elder Cannon and that he had been called by the prophet to be a missionary in
Africa. He bore his testimony of the
restored Gospel.
On the last
day of December, Isaac’s family and many others were baptized in a river. 20 years later Isaac baptized his own son, Raymond. The church continues to be strong in Africa.
I can choose
to be a missionary like my great-grandfather and share the gospel with all the world.
I can also share the gospel with my friends and neighbors, just like
Isaac’s family and neighbors did even before the missionaries came. I know this church is true. I say this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.






No comments:
Post a Comment