Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'll Walk With You

I love the Primary songs. In fact, I can only think of a few pieces of music that touch my soul as deeply as my favorite primary songs: "Be Thou My Vision" by John Rutter, "Consider the Lillies" by Roger Hoffman (who was also my bishop at BYU) The 2nd mvt. of Bruch's Violin Concerto in G minor, and "O Holy Night" are just a few I can think of off the top of my head. But I LOVE primary music. And I love my calling - 3 years so far - as the primary music leader in our ward.
We have a medium-sized primary with about 40 children from various socio-economic backgrounds including two physically and mentally disabled children - both in the CTR 8 class. The teachers of that particular class have always had to work extra hard to manage the little girl with the clunky walker and the little boy with uncontrolled outbursts. It's challenging for the other primary leaders as well.
Last week there was a substitute in the CTR 8 class which is a double challenge. She had a difficult time, bless her heart, and left early and flustered to "go wash her hands". She never came back. The others of us were left to arrange the chairs and the children who were now without a teacher. The little girl with the walker fell and cried almost the rest of the time. The other little boy wandered around the room making all sorts of noise and pulling down his pants.
And un-Christlike thoughts came to my mind. I felt angry at the teacher for leaving. And as ridiculous as it sounds, I felt angry at the ward for having so many kids with problems.
However, it just so happened that I planned on teaching the song, "I'll Walk With You" for Singing Time. I sang it once while the children listened and the spirit filled the room. Afterwards one girl exclaimed, "Wow! I really love that song!" and another girl said, "It reminds me of my sister, H. because she has a walker and needs our help. . ."
"Yes." I replied. "We are so lucky to have H. and I. in our primary to help us learn to be like Jesus. They are both such blessings to us." What a change of heart I suddenly felt! And what a profound and spiritual message in a simple song! I LOVE the primary songs. I am so grateful for the power and influence of good music - music that teaches our souls to love.

No comments: