The Primary children visited two assisted living centers last Saturday and sang some Easter songs for the people who live there. The second nursing home was a bit more raucous than the first - it was a "memory center" which means more Alzheimer's patients. At the very beginning, just as the children were lining up in front, a lady on the first row hollered, "Who are these people? They're not very pretty!" One of the workers nicely scolded her and explained why we were there. "Well, that's not why I'm here!" she retorted. The kids looked nervous - even scared - and I smiled and mouthed the words, "It's okay." The show must go on, right? And it did. Everyone sang beautifully despite the loud occasional outbursts from the audience. But during the last song, where the children testify, "I know he lives! I will follow faithfully. My heart I give to Him. I know that my Savior loves me.", you could have heard a pin drop the room was so still. Everyone was touched. The children made their way through the room shaking hands and meeting people. And this time, the room was all smiles.
Afterward Clayton explained that the woman who had made the rude comments at the beginning had actually enjoyed the program the most. Clayton said, "I noticed her smiling more than anyone else and mouthing the words to every song. I guess she changed for the better. Which makes sense because that's the whole reason of Easter anyway."
Yes, changing for the better. That is the whole meaning of Easter. It's the purpose of the atonement and the resurrection. It is the reason our hearts are lifted. It is the possibility that our wrongs can be made right. It is the hope that even though our memories fail and our bodies age we will become whole again. It is the reason we love. And live. And strive for the better. Clayton, I think you're right. That is the whole reason of Easter.

No comments:
Post a Comment