The Earth was Created for Heavenly Father's Children
Talk by Clayton Smith
February 24, 2013
The Earth was Created for Heavenly Father’s Children. Abraham 3:24 says, “We will make an earth whereon these may
dwell; and we will provide them herewith to see if they will do all things
whatsoever the Lord, their God shall command them.”
I am going to read something I wrote about an experience I
had climbing the mountain behind my grandparent’s house in Utah:
"I remember the sight from the top of the mountain
clearly. We had marched through the
aspen trees that run along the brook behind my grandparent’s cabin into the
wide open hillside of sagebrush. We had hiked up through the twisted and
turning maze of scrub oak trees that seemed to knot their branches into walls
of living wood. Once we found our way
through all that, we hiked across a mile-long rockslide of unstable
stones. It was difficult to get across,
but finally we made to the pine trees, which only grow at the tops of each peak. From there, the view was spectacular.
Standing in the shade of the pine trees I could see the
whole valley spread below. I saw my
grandparent’s house, like a brown gingerbread house, nestled in a group of
trees. I could see our car parked in the
drive way, looking smaller than a toy car.
I never knew I had hiked this far up the mountain.
I thought about what it took to get here. I thought about the beautiful aspens at the
beginning of hike that were so peaceful they seemed to beg us to stay. But then we hiked through the sage brush
which was hot and tiresome and seemed to be warning us of the dangers ahead on
the mountain. It was difficult to weave
our way through the twisted scrub oak and the unstable river of rocks and
boulders. But reaching the pine trees at the top made it all worth it.
Life is like this, in a way.
It is sometimes easier to not follow the commandments, just like it
would have been easier to just stay back in the aspens. We have been warned to get prepared for
trials to come in our lives. When the
trials come, with the right preparations we can overcome them, just like I was
able to make it up through the scrub oak and the rock slide. It was hard climbing. But it was worth it. After all the trials you
get to the well-earned pine trees. The
earth was made for us to prepare and experience trials as well as joy so that
we can make our own choices and have everlasting happiness."
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
1 comment:
Anne came home raving about Clayton's talk. I am so glad that you posted it so that I can read it. What a great story and analogy, Clayton.
Post a Comment