Sunday, May 26, 2013

What the Prophets Teach Us

Isaac is my one kid who I have actually never really helped write or prepare a Primary Talk.  I don't know why I have always dropped the ball on him.  Maybe I'm just lazy because he's so good at winging it - he can make anything thrown together and last minute sound pretty darn good (which is why I don't have any text from his last talk on here).  Anyway, it was fun to actually sit down with him at the computer and put this talk together - not that it turned out any better than he could have done winging it, but at least I have some prepared text to blog about.  The Theme in primary this month is, "Prophets teach us to live the restored gospel."  Here is the talk Isaac gave in Primary today.  It's interesting to think about the incredible wealth (of testimonies and knowledge) we have at our fingertips with the scriptures and accessibility (through the internet and church publications) to the teachings of our living prophet and leaders.  We are the benefactors of hundreds and hundreds of years worth of treasure.  What a great day and age to live!  We are truly blessed.


Amos chapter 3 verse 7 says, “The Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.”
The scriptures are a record kept by prophets called by God to teach and guide His children here on earth. The scriptures remind us of things that have already happened and tell us of things that are yet to come. They contain commandments that we must obey in order to live with Heavenly Father again.

For example, the last book in the Old Testament was written by the prophet Malachi. He told of the last days—our time—and gave us a promise from the Lord that if we will pay our tithing, the Lord will “open the windows of heaven, and pour out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.”
 
In the New Testament, the Apostles and other followers of Jesus Christ recorded His life, His teachings, His death, and His Atonement. John, one of His disciples, wrote that the Savior asks us to “love one another, as I have loved you.”
 The prophets in the Book of Mormon wrote about the people who came to the American continent. One of them, Alma, led his people during some really difficult times. He wrote of their experiences and said, “Learn wisdom in thy youth; yea, learn in thy youth to keep the commandments of God.”
 
  The Prophet Joseph Smith received many of the revelations contained in the Doctrine and Covenants. In one of them Heavenly Father teaches him about the Sabbath Day and taking the sacrament.  He says, “Go to the house of prayer and offer up thy sacraments upon my holy day.”
 One of the prophets in the Pearl of Great Price is Enoch, who told his people to “Choose ye this day, to serve the Lord God who made you.”  His people listened to his words and have given us a wonderful example to follow.  The scriptures are full of the Lord’s words, given to us through His prophets.
  Today we have a living prophet.  I have learned a lot about kindness and serving others from President Monson.  He said, “Perhaps when we face our maker, we will not be asked, ‘How many positions did you hold, but rather, ‘How many people did you help?”
I know that Heavenly Father speaks to us through his prophets.   And that I can read the scriptures to know his words.  I also know that we have a living prophet on the earth today.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: